Friday, September 14, 2007

Morris On!

Last weekend there were a number of events in Godalming as part of the Godalming Heritage Open Days. We happened to be in town on the Saturday and saw a couple of morris sides dancing in the High Street. It looked great fun, so on returning home I did a quick online search to see what it was all about.

As it happened, I discovered that the next day there were a number of sides dancing at lunchtime outside our local pub, The Anchor.

So, Sunday at midday we dragged the Squidlings away from their computer games and down to the pub. What a great couple of hours it turned out to be! It was sunny and warm, the Anchor was bedecked with flowers, the beer was flowing, and the morris dancing was just the ticket.

A number of sides were involved including Belles and Arrows:

The Off Spring Morris:

Mayflower Morris (who were spectacular!):

and Godalming's local boys, the Cup Hill Morris:

One of the Belles and Arrows ladies came over for a chat with us during one of the breaks, and mentioned that the Cup Hill morris were in need of new dancers and musicians, so towards the end I went over for a chat with them to offer my services - I really like the idea of this most traditional of dance musics. They will be contacting me in October to let me know when they start rehearsing. Well, it'll make a difference from my recent metal excursions!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home