Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Kicking up a Stink

Another one from the vaults, another trawl into the archives. Today's blog concerns the band that I played in through the mid-nineties, the magnificent Stink.













Stink comprised Jack Rawlinson on guitar, Gashnois on bass and backing samples, and myself on vocals. A simple lineup, but by goodness we could make a powerful noise on our day. Unfortunately I haven't managed to find any of our studio recordings, only a scuzzy, feedback-drenched live recording from a gig at the Bull and Gate, Kentish Town, London from 1997. You can see us mentioned in the clip from the NME below, the 2nd band on the bill, last gig on the advert.


















Some of you out there may have heard the recording of the song Filth from this gig, but I doubt any of you have heard this version of Funny Old World from the same gig. It is a poor recording, and Jack's guitar is barely audible (he is a cracking guitarist, and was gutted by the sound of this recording), but I think you get a sense of the power and energy of Stink nonetheless.

Funny Old World (MP3 3.7 MB)

I really miss playing with Jack and Gashnois, we had a certain something in our chemistry. Different approaches making for a creative whole. Jack has since moved to New York and Gashnois is working for the School of Audio Engineering.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Squid, you old tart! How the feck be ye these days? Damned interesting to see you decided to put an entry about dear old Stink up here. Shame about the clip - not only was the guitar too quiet on that but we pretty much lost the samples as well... you can hardly hear the demented preacher bit in the middle. Oh well, it brings the memories back. I still have a bunch of live and other recordings we did. Some of 'em are okay, too.

Shoot me an email if the spirit moves you...

12:13 PM  
Blogger Stephen Bradbury said...

Hi Jack, good to hear from you. I've emailed you, but I'm not sure if the email address I've got for you is still current - let me know if not.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home